Established in 1904, The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) has been assisting state and provincial licensing boards in creating uniform standards to protect the Public Health. The NABP association membership is comprised of pharmacy boards in the United States, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, New Zealand, Canada, Australia and South Africa.
The VIPPS Program
Developed in 1999 the NABP created the Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites (VIPPS) program in response to concerns regarding the safety of pharmacy practices on the internet. VIPPS identifies online pharmacy sites that are appropriately licensed.
VIPPS Certification Process
The VIPPS program is a voluntary for-fee service and is open to all internet pharmacies. Once a request form has been submitted the following criteria must be met to qualify for VIPPS certification:
- Verify all necessary state pharmacy licenses are in good standing
- Verify the Pharmacist-in-Charge licenses are in good standing
- Verify the patients’ rights to privacy
- Authenticate security of prescription orders
- Ensure adherence to a recognized quality assurance policy
- Ensure there is provision of meaningful consultation between patients and pharmacists
- Comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding the sale of Over-the-Counter Products
- Notify NABP within 30 days of any change of information
- Schedule an on-site inspection of the pharmacy’s facilities
- After all documents and inspections have been completed, a review will be produced and given to the pharmacy
If the review meets the identified standards, the applicant will then receive VIPPS status.
NABP Contact Information
Address National Association of Boards of Pharmacy
1600 Feehanville Drive
Mount Prospect, IL
Telephone Number (847) 391-4406
Fax Number (847) 391-4502
Email [email protected]